Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Defeating Stigma

With dangerous healthcare bills in the news, which continue to be initiated in Congress and which would be devastating to those of us with mental illness, I've been thinking a lot about stigma lately. Stigmatizing treatment, including getting fired from my healthcare job while receiving inpatient treatment for depression, is one of the main reasons I began this blog. It's the reason I am open and vocal about having a mental illness. I like to think my speaking out and blogging have both educated others and confronted stigma at least a bit.

Some of you may remember this sign, which I created. I wore it at The New York City Marathon and plan to continue wearing it at future marathons.


Well, I found an organization which shares my mission. It works to defeat the stigma associated with mental illness and uses running to do it! How perfect is that? It's called Defeat the Stigma Project. Here's the front and back of my new tank top, which is available on their website, and which I'm happy to report has been showing up on the shoulders of some local runners lately.



If you are a runner, especially a runner with mental illness, consider being out and loud. It's the only way to educate those around us, to improve our treatment, and to keep battling the stigma we face, whether it be from home or the halls of Congress.

2 comments:

Camille Howey said...

I love this!! And especially for the public to see you can not only live with depression but thrive with it. Awesome work, proud of you

Katheryne Patterson said...

I love this! I found this,too.



.