Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Ketamine Success

I am officially finished with my Ketamine clinical trial. I had my seventh and final infusion on Thursday. I'm extremely pleased to report the Ketamine worked. I feel almost back to normal. I'm working, exercising, smiling, laughing, and have some energy again. I'm so relieved to be past another severe depression episode.

This makes me two for two in alternative depression treatments. This Spring successful treatment with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation led to resolution of one of the worst, if not the worst, depression relapses I've ever experienced. Now I've had success with Ketamine, too. I'm really lucky to have had access to both of these cutting edge treatments. And isn't it too bad they aren't readily available to more people suffering with severe depression. Hopefully, my participation in this Ketamine trial will lead to more widespread use.

There may be some movement for me on the running front as well. Over the last week, I ran a couple of times on the Alter-G (gravity eliminating) treadmill at 50% of my body weight. Eliminating 50% of my body weight allowed me to run for 10-15 minutes at a time with fairly decent form despite continued leg weakness and foot drop. That was kind of exciting.

Not one to settle, or practice patience, I took it one step further tonight. I ran a few minutes at a time outside. It wasn't terribly pretty, but I just had to try once again. My stride is significantly altered secondary to the foot drop, and it wasn't easy. I do think I'm getting a little stronger. That's hopeful. Unfortunately there is still an awful long way to go if I'm ever to run again as I used to run. I'm trying to stay hopeful, nonetheless.

That's all I've got today. Carry on, my friends.

9 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. That's wonderful.

Wendy Love said...

Thanks for sharing your victory. Your perseverance is a credit to you. There is hope for depression, you are living proof.

Jean Grey said...

I'm glad your mood is better and that you are doing well with the Alter-G. I just finished my second ketamine treatment and it seems to be helping a lot.

Debra Riako said...

That is great. Have been reading up on this, and glad to see it works. Hopefully, solutions like these will be available for other people around the world too. Stay strong.

paullamb said...

This is encouraging news! I'm going back to my psych next week to see about getting on meds again, and I intend to ask about this.

Emilie Marie said...

Great to hear about your successes. The Ketamine treatment sounds very exciting! How can I find out more about it?

Julie Gathman said...

I'm smiling! Glad some things are working. Writing about your experience with these two alternative (for now) treatments is going to be helpful for many.

Ashley P said...

I'm hoping that with the research that's accumulating about the benefits of ketamine it will become more widely available sooner rather than later.

fadimepinar said...

This is a very nice article to motivating people. I'm happy for you



.