Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Life is good

I'm happy to report things are going well here. As a result, I don't have much to report. Work has been a bit stressful, as we have some challenging patients right now, but I've been managing. I'm still paying for the extra hours, and extra stress, with increased fatigue, but I feel like I'm managing that fairly well, too.

I'm working hard to fit in my exercise. I now have a routine of a few exercises, focused on increasing my core and leg strength, which I do daily. They only take about 5-10 minutes to do, but it's still difficult to motivate myself to begin them after a long day at work. So far, I've been able to motivate, and I know that's going to help me in the long run.

I'm still running on the Alter-G treadmill. I'm up to running for 40 minutes, but I'm a little frustrated I've not been able to decrease the level of assistance I get from the treadmill. I'm running at 55% of my body weight. If I try to increase that percentage, which decreases the buoyancy provided by the treadmill, my left leg doesn't tolerate it. That's frustrating.

The left leg weakness is still there, but I think maybe, just maybe, my leg is getting stronger. It's hard to tell, but I think I'm seeing a few signs that my strength is improving. It's going to be long, long road back. But as long as I keep moving in the direction of getting all the way back, I'm hopeful.

Hope is a good thing. I like hope. When I'm suffering with low mood, my hope disappears. That's a horrible place to be. I'm so happy to report I'm not there now. I still feel well. Life is good.

4 comments:

Paul said...

It's heartening to hear this good news. Do you think it's the result of the ketamine? I hope it last a long time.

Jules said...

So so glad you're doing well. So many take feeling "normal" for granted, but those of us who have been through hell and back, repeatedly, are extremely grateful and thankful for our normal days. Prayers for a sustained remission my friend.

Julie Gathman said...

Woot! Happy for ya.

Katheryne Patterson said...

I agree. Woot woot!!!



.