Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

That time of year

I'm just back from what very likely may be my last ElliptiGo ride of this year. I hope not, but it's that time of year here. The cold weather swooped in, and we had our first taste of snow on Friday. It's been cold and windy and gray since then, including today, but I just had to get outside for some good, old fashioned, lung searing exercise anyway. So I did.

It was 30 degrees, gray and windy when I set out. Dressed in multiple layers, including a hat, mittens and neck gaiter, I did okay, except for my toes. Should have thought more about my toes. One layer of wool socks and airy running shoes just didn't do the trick. After an hour and forty minutes, 21.1 miles, I couldn't feel my toes. They were red and icy. Oops. I recovered just fine, but if I do get to ride again, I'll remember my toes.

That's about the biggest drama I've had recently, my icy toes, and I hope it stays that way. I'm still feeling well. I must look and sound well, too, as I keep getting unsolicited, excited comments from friends and acquaintances. "You look great!" "You sound great!" "You must be feeling well!" As I've mentioned here in the past, I think I need a video of myself when I'm in the midst of a depression relapse. Clearly, there is a huge difference in how I present myself. It would be interesting to see.

I have a fairly busy week ahead. I'll be working 5 of the next 7 days. I'll need to work hard to get my exercise in, get to at least one meeting, and maybe even socialize a bit. Busy is okay. I just need to be hyper-vigilant about keeping my life in balance, which is ultra important if I want to keep those unsolicited comments coming my way. Carry on, my friends.

1 comment:



.